Public Consultation Process
CFSI Invites Your Feedback
CFSI is committed to engaging external stakeholders in the development and oversight of CFSI's programs, audit requirements, guidance documents. CFSI will post any items for public review and comment on this webpage and will discuss these items on CFSI's monthly multi-stakeholder call.
CFSI is developing new Conflict Free Smelter Program protocols for Tin/Tantalum, Tungsten, and Gold. The Tin/Tantalum draft protocol is available here (and available in Chinese here and Russian here). The initial consultation process ran from May 11, 2016 to June 30, 2016. The second consultation round will launch in October 2016.
For a Review Summary of the Tin/Tanalum Audit Protocol, click here.
The protocol will include the following major changes:
- Full alignment with OECD Due Diligence Guidance
- Structured according to the OECD 5-step process
- Management systems approach
- Global application of Conflict Affected and High-Risk Areas, inclusive but not limited to the “Covered Countries”
- Integration of Risk Identification, Assessment, and Mitigation
- Public reporting requirement
- Incorporation of prior input from smelters, auditors, NGO stakeholders, and industry groups
- Refined definitions of eligible Sn/Ta smelters
- Removal of all procedural aspects
- Refined sampling approach
- Delineation of Country of Origin Determination requirements
- Delineation of requirements for sourcing from non-validated smelters and metals exchanges
Please contact Leah Butler with any questions.